BusinessSourceSmall Business Development
The Los Angeles-South Valley BusinessSource Center mission is to provide a high-quality and effective no cost business development program for City of Los Angeles residents to initiate economic development through small business growth and job creation.
Key Areas of Expertise:
- Access to Capital for Minority Business Owners: We provide financial literacy and educate immigrant business owners on the economic opportunity of commercial lending in the U.S. We assess the profit and loss of a business, provide credit counseling, assist with loan packaging and connect business owners with the financial institutions matching their qualifications and who offer competitive terms.
- Licenses/Permits: We assist LA residents in “Making It Official” and navigating through the permit and licensing process including business tax registration certificate through the Office of Finance, filing a fictitious business name through the LA County Registrar’s Office, obtaining a seller’s permit through the CA Board of Equalization, Employer Identification Number and Individual Tax Identification Number through the Internal Revenue Service, etc.
- Minority-Owned Entrepreneur and Business Development: We collaborate with community-based organizations to provide resources to low-income and minority communities in the City of Los Angeles. We have partnered with the Korean American Coalition, Los Angeles Tai Consulate and Tai and Spa Association, Spanish-speaking church communities, New Economics for Women, Professional School of Beauty, Fashion & Arts, Inc.
Key Industry Focus:
Restaurants, super-markets, manufacturing, auto, massage, salons/barbers, and business to business industries
Who We Serve:
Although we focus on low-income and minority-owned businesses, youth (16-22), women, veterans and entrepreneurs with disabilities, we aim to serve any and all residents and business owners in L.A. We also serve Spanish speaking clients (in house) and provide translators for workshops depending on the community focus.
Services and Technical Assistance:
Signature Training & Events:
- SFV Small Business Networking Expo: The annual event is centered around up and coming entrepreneurs and small businesses who want to showcase their products and services and gain valuable feedback from the community. We celebrate and host the event during “small business week” in the San Fernando Valley after discovering a need for a major “small business week” event in this region of Los Angeles. We aim to increase BusinessSource visibility and sales for local small businesses.
- Business Startup Bootcamp (Entrepreneur Training Program): This 7 week training program is created to empower entrepreneurs and small business owners with resources and tools to launch or relaunch their businesses. The Business Startup BootCamp(BSB) features business experts in industries such as legal, private, governmental, and other business consultants as teachers of entrepreneurship. The BSB training is tailored for entrepreneurs that are in need of restructuring their business to make a profit, as well as entrepreneurs who are starting a business. Also available in Spanish.
- Youth Entrepreneur Training Program: The program provides an 8-week youth development and leadership skills program aimed at supporting and empowering the City of Los Angeles youth (16-21yr olds). The program offers engaging and activity-based workshops that provides participants the skills needed to begin a successful career and/or one day start a business. The program curriculum includes topics such as business entities, licenses/permits, services/product, marketing, networking and communication, teamwork, finances (personal/business), credit, access to capital, resume, and career counseling.
ICON CDC is also making an initiative to connect Youth Entrepreneur Training graduates with small business owners for mentoring while providing innovative marketing strategies and technical assistance through a paid internship program. We currently offer an internship program at ICON CDC for community college and university students.
8248 Van Nuys Blvd.
Panorama City, CA 91402
9-5 pm, Monday through Friday
9-1pm, 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month